Thursday, July 28, 2005

Thursday Thoughts

We started canning beans yesterday. I love the sight of the jars full of fresh picked and canned beans piling up on the counter. Beans are in my opinoin the most important crop for the homestead. They will grow in any soil and seem to always yeild a good crop. For the space they take up nothing will produce more food for the pantry than beans. Just as everyone else I imagine, we are eating a lot of summer squash fried in butter. Suplemented with meat a couple a squash plants can keep a family filled up for a good part of the summer. The meat chicks are growing up fast. We finaly got some cooler weather, for which I'm thankful. I'll wait for the nights to warm up a little before I turn them out on the grass. We still could use some rain.

Gene Logsdon writes about the joy of eating well....

The question I am most often asked by urbanites goes like this: “But what do you do out there all the time?” And the answer I most often give, sort of facetiously, because that is such a culturally-illiterate question, is: “Eat.” They look puzzled of course. Modern society, irrationally scared to death by fat, calories and cholesterol, doesn’t know how to eat any more, and families rarely sit down together for a meal. It really is a shame. Enjoying a feast of homegrown food is surely my family’s favorite pastime, and Carol’s (my wife’s) family has practically made a sacrament out of it.


Some timeless advice from Andrew Nelson Lytle, from an essay "The Hind Tit"

He must close his ears to these heresies that accumulate about his head, for they roll from the tongues of false prophets. He should know that prophets do not come from cities, promising riches and store clothes. They have always come from the wilderness, stinking of goats and running with lice and telling of a different sort of treasure, one a corporation head would not understand.

If you haven't already stopped by, be sure to check out A Bit of Earth Farm . A journal of the life of a 19 year old girl living and learning on a farm in Ohio.

The traitors in Washington passed CAFTA last night. The nightmare of Globalism marches on. Another example of why the two party system is a fraud. As CAFTA works its magic on our economy, expect the Agrarain Movement to grow by leaps and bounds.

3 Comments:

At 7/28/2005 6:20 AM, Blogger Tom Scepaniak said...

I've noticed the USDA is well into starting their offensive against the American farmer and rancher. Up until a little while ago they at least tried to act like they were representing us. Recently the Sec of Ag even spoke publicly that his goal was to lower the price of beef by opening up more imports. I guess the traitors in DC figure we're making to much money. This CAFTA burns me up, all the while they said it probobly wouldn't pass, then at the last minute a turn about. I read where the big business publicly stated they would cut off all campaign funds to anyone that voted against it. I can't imagine statements like this even a few years ago. Well, enough of this, I'd better get outside and try to get away from the insanity for a few hours.

Tom

 
At 7/28/2005 9:00 AM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

I'll tell you what burned me up. DFA and a couple of other so called dairy lobbiest worked there phoney little tails off to get it passed. They are all going to get a peice of mind. Bush is out talking about how its "good for national security". What a crock.

 
At 7/30/2005 5:23 PM, Blogger Tom Scepaniak said...

I know what your saying Scott.I hear a dairy show on the radio every morning early. They were so in favor of CAFTA. I've been to Central America several times and they don't have a dime to spend on our products. If they did they'd get them duty free anyhow, beleive me I know. This is just to open the gate for the South American Free Trade Agreement.

Tom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home