Tuesday, July 19, 2005

What We're Doin' on The Hill

Things are pretty busy around here this week. Leah and her sister have been making a mess of jam. They got the black caps done and yesterday they picked blueberries. While they picked blueberries I dug a grave for Katie. It was hot and the ground is dry and hard. Took forever getting a hole dug. Shes in the ground now, I sure miss our morning time together. Last night we went and bought supplies for our trip to Polyface and delivered some eggs on the way. We will be leaving on Friday. I'm getting exited, I haven't left the farm over night in several years. I'm also felling kind of nervous and jerky about it as well. I'm a creature of habit, always have been. I can't remember the last time I missed a milking around here. Heck, I broke my foot a few years back 2 hours before milking and didn't miss that milking or any after for that matter. I'll be up bright and early looking for something to do. Thankfully Joel has invited everyone over for morning chores! The girls made jam late into the night with their fresh blueberries. This morning I'll have a bowl of them with sugar and heavy cream. Agrarian rocket fuel. Some of our early apples are starting to get ready. Seems early, don't have a clue what they are. We have a few ripe tomatoes already. I grew the tomatoes on the layered compost garden I'm experimenting with. I can't believe the yields! I've never seen so many tomatoes. The first beans were ready yesterday, just a few. In a few days we'll have beans coming out our ears. I hope they aren't waiting for me to leave. We grew the broccoli on the layered compost as well. We have had 5 cuttings worth of side shoots on the oldest ones. I have been surprised by the yields on them as well. We had a calf born this morning. She is sired by This Bull. We have a few and they are all pretty nice.

5 Comments:

At 7/19/2005 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott,

GREAT article! It is very encouraging. Sorry to hear about the dog and congrats on the calf. That must be exciting.

A friend of mine will be at Polyface at the end of the week. I gave him your email in the hopes y'all (that's suthun for you all) could meet. I figure there'll be a lot of people, but just in case. He is like a kid in a candy store with anticipation! All on top of news that his wife is having twins! This will be their 7th and 8th blessings in one.

Milkmaid, I discovered your blog through this one and Farmer Buie last week. Your stories have been a huge blessing to my wife and I. Keep up the hard work. You are an encouragement to people like us who are following the same vision that you and the other agrarian bloggers are making happen. You are sowing seeds that you do not even know about yet, but they are there. You are glorifying your Father in Heaven and blessing others along the way that you may not even know about. Thank you, your husband and your children.

 
At 7/19/2005 3:37 PM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

Milkmaid

We started milking with a couple of cows and an old 9 stall barn. The Lord lead through some mighty strange places and ordeals before we got to where we are now. Everything will work out, just wait and see. There are a lot of people that REALLY love your blog. You write some great stuff over there, keep it up. And Leah says Hi.

Matt

Look forward to meeting your friend! Before I go I'll post a family photo so folks can spot me. Can't wait to meet some of these guys. After Polyface we're driving down to Bristol and we are going to finaly meet Rick from DHP in person.

 
At 7/19/2005 6:47 PM, Blogger Chad said...

Scott, I hope you have a great time at the Field Day! I wish I could be there, but I'll have to wait until next time.

Milkmaid, I really enjoy y'alls blog too. Everyone needs encouragement, you're no further behind than most of the rest of us, and further ahead of more than you probably realize.

 
At 7/20/2005 9:09 AM, Blogger Premodern Bloke said...

Scott - Good to hear that the "lasagna" gardening method is working for you. Did you plant the seeds into the soil under the compost, or into the layered compost itself? I have heard of folks using both methods.

Milkmaid - You can do quite a bit with 7 acres! There is a family in Pasedena, CA that grows 6000 lbs of fruit and vegetables a year in a suburban lot, along with raising ducks and chickens, and a lot more. Sometimes, less is more. :-)

Jeff Schmidt

 
At 7/20/2005 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff

I used it for transplants this year. Tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, and squash. I plan on expanding it next year and plant seeds in it to. I'm not sure how I'm going to plant them. Everything that was planted by seed this year went in a plain old tilled soil garden.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home