Wednesday, July 20, 2005

A Break From the Heat

It was a lot cooler this morning than its been in some time. I didn't even start the floor fan up in the cow barn. I am thankful for a break from this heat. I'm going to pick beans today. Last night I skidded out some firewood with my brother-in-law. We used the old Ford 601 Workmaster. They are a handy little tractor to use in the woods. When I was a boy we used to plant corn with an 801 Powermaster and a JD 494a planter. I love those little Fords. Nothing sounds prettier than those little gas engines. To bad gas is so expensive, you can't afford to do much "real" work with them anymore. I was thinking last night that the 601 would be a great tractor for the small time homesteader. They have power to spare and have 3 point hitch. They can have remote hydraulics added on pretty easy. That tractor could do every job on the homestead. Well, I better scoot. I need to go get the girls some hay, pastures about all used up now. Praying for rain.

2 Comments:

At 7/20/2005 9:33 AM, Blogger Premodern Bloke said...

Scott - Does the 601 have a "live" PTO?

 
At 7/20/2005 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope, clutch operated. Thats the only thing I'd change about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home