Saturday, July 16, 2005

Richest Man on Earth

Yesterday was a pretty productive day. By sunset I had a bulk tank half full of jersey milk, my barn chores done, a big mixing bowl full of snap peas harvested and froze, 8 summer squash and 5 zuccinies picked, a big mess of broccoli put up, some more pasture clipped and I was standing in a patch of blackcaps just picking away. I like to pick berries at dusk. Its a good way to cap off the day. Today the women folk will be making the berries into jam, I'll probably even pick some for wine latter. Anyway, I'm standing there picking berries and watching another beautiful MT Hunger sunset and I'll I could say was "Thank God I'm a Countryboy". I reached in my pocket and pulled out 63 cents, all I've got to my name at the present moment, and thought "Today I'm the richest man on earth". The Lord has provided me with a wonderful family, honest work, and a bountifull harvest that will feed us through the winter. Modern industrialist-capitalist culture trys to put a dollar value on everything. They even have the gull to declare "Time is money". Bull, time is a gift from God best spent glorifying Him and enjoying Him. I always laugh when pencil pushers tell me to be sure I figure in my time when judging somethings profit. Averaged out over the years I reckon my times worth about 5 cents an hour......don't bother me at all. The moderns never get agrarainism because they fail to realize that some things don't have a monetary value. Whats it worth to you, say.... watching a little boy feed a calf or catch a frog. Having a bucket full of blackberries that were free for the picking. The taste of that jam on some homeade bread. If one chooses this kind of lifestyle they must learn to recognize these blessings for there real value. At the end of the day we must to enjoy the smell of fresh cut hay or manure, a true gift of increase, just as much as our neighbor enjoys "new car smell" or french perfume. We must learn to be content with the gifts that God gives us and not lust after mammon.

7 Comments:

At 7/16/2005 8:01 AM, Blogger B. D. Buie said...

This post was beautiful, thank you.

 
At 7/16/2005 5:05 PM, Blogger Tom Scepaniak said...

You nailed it Scott! But I am a little jealous that you have 63 cents in your pocket....

 
At 7/16/2005 6:23 PM, Blogger Herrick Kimball said...

Scott,

Your Blog today is reflective, eloquent, insightful and inspiring.

We're picking the wild berries here too!

 
At 7/16/2005 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott, I must echo the previous comments. Your blog entry is, in God's hands, a means of "provoking others to love and good deeds." I get provoked to good deeds every time I read you.

I'm not blogging, and I even hesitate to post comments, because what we are doing is tiny compared to you real agrarians, but we're picking green beans, corn, zucchini, tomatoes, jalapena pepper (just one, so far) and have dug a handful of potatoes. I think we have already harvested as much as we ever have since marrying 25 years ago, and there's still a lot of summer left. Last night we snapped beans; tonight, we are blanching and freezing, and rejoicing in the Lord our God who causes us to eat the fruit of our labors!

Thanks to all of you agrarians: reformed, northern, KS, antithetical, deliberate, and others I've missed in the list. Maybe someday I will blog as the "Aspiring Agrarian."

JFC

 
At 7/18/2005 6:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott, I could not agree with you more. How can you put a $ value on watching your children milk a cow, enjoying planting sweet potatoes, teaching your children how not only to be a carpenter or a welder or furniture maker but to be godly men (I have all boys). But most of all, there is no amount of $ that can makeup for seeing my children feel the move of God. Hearing how the Lord spoke to their heats and what revelation they got from our family devotion or our home group meeting - $150.00 dollars an hour - YOU CAN KEEP IT!!!! As for me and my house, we are going to serve the Lord....
Squareye56

 
At 7/18/2005 6:15 AM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

Milkmaid

You'll like the book. Ten cents an hour....be carefull, your gonna move into a higher tax bracket.

Bryan

Keep working towards the dream, you'll get there. Never give up.

Tom

I spent the 63 cents.

Herrick

They're really sweet this year, ain't they. The boys can't stop eating.

Jon

Sounds like you have quite a garden there! You are a Real Agrarian. We're all working away at trying to move to the next step, whatever that next step is. You don't need a lot of land or a farm to be an agrarian, and you sir I consider one of us. I'm no where near where I want to be either. Praise God for your harvest.

 
At 7/18/2005 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings from Nawlins,

I must say, I was somewhat covetous at the thought of smelling hay and manure... really. Then God reminded me to be grateful for what He's given me. I don't have crops yet, but we've got 6 chickens (our second attempt at farming experimentation) growing healthy, and more importantly, we are harvesting a bumper crop of God's most wonderful blessings... our children.

Thanks for your post and thanks to all for the comments. I can't wait to be a "poor farmer" if it be God's will.

By the way... I've NEVER liked the new car smell. Chicken poop suits me.

Matt Davis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home