Friday, July 08, 2005

Woods

When I was growing up I loved spending time in the woods. I would often get my morning chores done and grab my pack and head down the trail and not come back till evening. Looking back, the time spent in those woods really helped shape my life in a lot of ways. I was alone, and just a little guy. I remember the first time I got lost. Thought for sure I'd never find my way back. I finally had to stop panicking and sit down. I thought, "Scott-you've got to stop and think a little". That's been my game plan ever since, just stop and think. I learned a lot about wildlife and plants and such by simple observation. Those days of youth, learning and exploring, were days I will always remember. There are few things that stimulate the mind and spirit of a young lad then exploring a new country. Those woods weren't all that big, when I look at them now. To a 10 year old kid they were like a vast wilderness. I've never really outgrown it, as an adult I've made several trips to Alaska. The last time with my wife and we stayed for a year, quite a honeymoon. There is something about the wilderness, the real wilderness that I love. The beauty, the silence, the fact that one mistake could at any time be the death of you. I am happy that my boys love the woods just like their dad. Little John was exploring the woods when he was only 2. He could find and identify coon tracks at that age. Don't think I didn't brag on that just a little. His birthday is coming up. I got him his own 3 year old sized pack basket to use trapping this fall. I can't wait to see his face!

4 Comments:

At 7/09/2005 3:40 AM, Blogger Tom Scepaniak said...

That sure takes me back in time. Growing up and spending the greater part of the day alone in the woods. Hunting knife, hatchet, single shot 22, and a couple of old traps a neighbor gave me.To this day it's a place I love.And as an adult in fall and winter I sometimes like to spend the greater part of the day out there making wood, bring along some bread and sausages and have a little fire, sometimes even catch a little nap around noon after having a meal made over the fire. It's hard to describe to people that have never lived this way the peace a day in the woods brings.

 
At 7/09/2005 5:35 AM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

Tom

I think we were cut from the same cloth! There is nothing better than a meal cooked in the woods. Ole Sam, in Alaska, said there was nothing better than "Trappers Tea". He'd start a fire and melt some snow. Through in his tea bag to steep. Drink it down and then see how many spruce needles and rabbit turds were in the bottom of his tin cup!

 
At 7/10/2005 4:12 AM, Blogger Valerie (Kyriosity) said...

[Off topic]

I'm on a campaign: I want all the blogs I read that have blogger commments to change their comment settings from showing just the time to showing the date, as well. You can change that setting if you go into Blogger and click Settings > Comments; scroll down to "Comments Timestamp Format" and select a more informative option. Wouldn't that make life just so much better?

 
At 7/10/2005 6:12 PM, Blogger Valerie (Kyriosity) said...

Thanks, Scott. You're an officer and a gentleman. Um...and a farmer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home