Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite times of year. For farmers, like myself, it still holds much its original spirit and intent. With the coming of fall we head into winter. The harvest done and our projects complete, we now reflect on another year of working God's land for His glory. We look back now with time to reflect, for the we are often (shamefully) to busy at the moment to notice God's provision in our daily struggle to subdue the earth and replenish it.

This time of year I always enjoy getting down my copy of the book by Bradford, Of Plymouth Plantation. In many ways we who are advocating Christian Agrarianism are much like Bradfords people. We are trying to build a distinctively Christian culture while fleeing tyranny and wickedness. Consider this quote by Bradford....

"Thus out of small beginnings greater things have been produced by His hand that made all things of nothing, and gives being to all things that are; and as one small candle may light a thousand, so the light here kindled hath shone unto many, yea in some sort to our whole nation; let the glorious name of Jehovah have all the praise."

We can only pray that our offspring will carry on our dream and not toss it to the ash heap of history like the offspring of these first builders of American Christian Culture did. Lets learn from their mistakes.

What am I thankful for?

I'm thankful for beef in the freezer and mason jars full of my garden harvest. For being able to scratch out a living on this little hill farm and not have to go "off to work" everyday. I'm thankful for a wonderful godly wife and two fine boys. I'm thankful that I can raise my boys here on the farm and watch them grow into men. I'm thankful for wood heat and cold beer. I give thanks for the many likeminded folks I've "met" here on the web. I'm thankful that the Christian Agrarian blogs are doing more than encouraging each other, they are bringing the Gospel of Jesus Christ to many visitors who have have never heard it. I also thank the Lord that he uses our primitive, unpolished writing to strengthen his people. I received an email one day from a brother who had fallen away from the Lord. He told me that my writings and the other Christian Agrarian bloggers had helped bring him back to Lord. He was so joyful and upbeat, so excited about what God was doing in his family. I cried tears of joy that day. It is so humbling to think God would use our writings to help bring a lost sheep back into his pasture. Lets praise God for all his provisions!

Praying that everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving.

4 Comments:

At 11/22/2005 6:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott:


A fine post. I am especially moved by this statement:

He told me that my writings and the other Christian Agrarian bloggers had helped bring him back to Lord. He was so joyful and upbeat, so excited about what God was doing in his family. I cried tears of joy that day. It is so humbling to think God would use our writings to help bring a lost sheep back into his pasture.

 
At 11/23/2005 8:46 AM, Blogger Genuine Lustre said...

I'm with you. Farmers are able to look around and see the fruits of their labor, unlike someone who shuffles paper in an office.
My morning chores had an especially festive feel today -- it was satisfying to get the stalls clean and make all the critters comfortable.

 
At 11/27/2005 12:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thankful for wood heat and cold beer?!?!? You seem so religious .. I cant even think of such a religious man drinking beer let alone being THANKFULL for it hahaha .. but hey whatever

 
At 11/28/2005 4:46 AM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

Christians have historicly been very thankfull for beer! Luther, the great reformer, loved beer. He said that "Men can go wrong with wine and women, do you propose we ban women also?" Calvin was paid as part of his salary with wine. 30 gallons a month, if I remeber right. The Lord Jesus turned water into wine. He drank wine. The bible teaches God made wine to make mans heart glad. The bible commands us to drink in moderation and to drink to the glory of God.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home