Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Country Goes to Town

I got up a 3am and got the girls milked and tried to get a jump on the day. I'm off to the county courthouse today. Fear not, I have not been formally charged with any crime! I have jury duty. First time in my life that I've ever been summoned. Now I have to drive into the city. I hate the city. I would rather be beat and poked with sharp sticks, then to have to go to the city. I hate the roads, the sidewalks, and the smell. The modern city is the antithesis to my vision of a decentralized agrarian culture. It is hyperspecialization transformed into its logical conclusion. Make matters even worse, you can't carry a gun in the courthouse. These folks expect me to walk all the way from the parking ramp to the courthouse with my 38 left under the seat of my car. What nerve. Say a prayer for me, my agrarian brothers and sisters, as I enter the belly of the beast(unarmed-no less). I get lost very easy in the city. I'm heading over to mapquest right now, in hopes of fool proof, read hillbilly proof, directions.

4 Comments:

At 10/20/2005 10:46 AM, Blogger Missouri Rev said...

I know what you mean. In my neck of the woods, having any car in front of you, let alone stopping, is a traffic jam. The more I live the slow-paced Missouri rural life, the more I find going into any big city is like landing on a foreign planet, where one needs portable life support to function safely.

Humans are amazingly resilient creatures that can adapt to just about anything, but that does not say that everything man does is true biblical progress, which we are led to believe by the media cheer leaders of our pagan society. I believe large industrial based cities run by powerful moneychangers and bureaucrats are both ungodly and biblically unnatural. The Lord scaled the creation so that godly families could steward the earth in decentralized, productive communities blessed of Him, not so that autonomous man could create Babels of centralized power to rule over others.

 
At 10/20/2005 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the prayers, Milkmaid.

I agree 100%, Missouri Rev.


By God's Grace, I did survive the trip. I also managed to get myself completly and totally lost. Did I mention that I hate the city. The only good thing about the day was that the guy pled guilty at the last possible moment, and I got to go back to the farm!

 
At 10/20/2005 4:42 PM, Blogger Tom Scepaniak said...

Scott, Glad you survived.I recall my four month stint on jury duty and it was for the most part a big waste of time. As far as the big city goes I always say, the only way they'll get me there is in handcuffs!

Tom

 
At 10/22/2005 4:36 AM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

Tom

Four Months! I think I'd die of city exposure for sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home