Monday, October 17, 2005

I'm Back

I'm back. I couldn't stay away for long. I did some thinking, planted some garlic, and painted the milkhouse, but I just couldn't stop bloggin'. By the looks of my sitemeter stats, nobody else had much faith in my "blogging vacation" either.

I want to catch up on a couple of things I've been going to mention. First, I've been reading the TNfarmgirl for a while. If you don't read it regular, you should. She has had some really good stuff lately. I'm proud to report that Christian Agrarianism has crossed the sea. America does not export much anymore, but it seems the seeds of Agrarianism have taken root in New Zealand. There is another NY State blogger, The Agrarian Plowshare, that just started up. Pastor McConnell has posted a link to his 11 page essay called The Heart of Biblical Agrarianism. Don't miss it.

Now for todays thoughts.

Arrogance in Agriculture

Farmers used to be the most respected people around. They were known as honest, hard working folks that told the truth and cared for the land. Sometime around the 40's things started to change. Yes, for many more years farmers still were well thought of, but it was at this time Industrialized thought began to replace the old Christian worldview. Covenantal Stewardship gave way to chronological snobbery and an Austrian veiw of the Creation and how it should be used. Farmers are at times their own worst enemy. Most of the worlds population, whether right or wrong, does not want to eat GMO grains. Americas farmers do just what the Land Grants say. They plant it hedgerow to hedrow, and then cry about the fact nobody wants to buy it. They take all sorts of actions to make the countries in question import the grain that they don't want. Cry about the fact that grain prices are low, and keep voting for the people who who have built the socailist system that enslaves them. Instead of thinking, "Lets grow something the consumer wants." American farmers think, "Stupid consumers. Don't know a darn thing. Don't they know we have to feed the world." The land grant colleges, farm magazines, extention agents, and salesmen all sing the same tune. They tell farmers all the time how stupid the consumers are. Farmers eat this up. We already know city folks are simple. Someone in a tie says it, and we say AMEN. Science and ethics aside, it dosen't even make economic sense to do business with this attitude. The American Farmers slogan is "the consumer is always wrong". Ask anyone you meet if they want to drink milk with BST in it and they will say no. Famers responce.......shoot up the cows and complain that nobody understands you and milk price is low. Of course, we can't look at this in pure economic terms. As stewards of God's Creation, we have an obligation above "the market". What are the consequences of GMOs? I am afraid the end of creations wonderfull diversity. As a side note, did you know that they are know putting human liver genes in rice? With all the talk about GM crops that would be "more nutritous" and "resistent to insects" they have yet to introduce one. They have made "Roundup Ready" everything. Once the Land Grant Boys told farmers they could wash their faces with DDT. We now know they were wrong(or liars). Today they say you can "drink a glass or Roundup a day" and be just fine. Now the person that heard that in college class, wrote about it in Farming Magazine this month. Within days of being fed that lie, she found research that it kills frogs and tadpoles and probably causes reproductive problems in people. Well, I didn't get to everything I wanted to cover, but I've got to scoot.

6 Comments:

At 10/17/2005 7:40 PM, Blogger TNfarmgirl said...

Scott,
I am so glad you didn't stay away long...your posts always seem to encourage me...thanks!

 
At 10/17/2005 8:39 PM, Blogger TNfarmgirl said...

oops! I meant to thank you for the kind words also.

Blessings!

 
At 10/17/2005 10:03 PM, Blogger JFC said...

Scott,

I echo TN & KS: "Welcome back." And of course I had no faith in your sabbatical; I knew you would be back someday, so I checked your site everyday.

JFC

 
At 10/18/2005 10:36 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

:-( I must admit to having been one of the faithless few. I believe I was only checking this blog once a day instead of my customary three or four times.

;-)

Glad you're back, Scott!

Kelly

 
At 10/18/2005 6:15 PM, Blogger Tom Scepaniak said...

Scott,
What your posting is so true to someone whom has lived it. I remember when I thought that there were experts trying to help farmers from these outfits. I must say it was all a Big Lie! The worst part is they're preaching lies now much more than ever before. I pray more folks will realize it.


Tom

 
At 10/18/2005 7:10 PM, Blogger Walter Jeffries said...

*grin* I kept checking in daily. Good to have you back! I look forward to reading your articles...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home