Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Feathers, Pears, and Brooms

As you may have gathered by my lack of blogging, we have been busy as beavers. Saturday we started killing chickens which is a slow and time consuming task because we are hand plucking this year. We don't have to many to do, so we'll live. Many thanks to David Marble who came out and helped. It was Daves first times drawing blood on a living creature and he performed admirably. Dave's wife has a blog, that she never writes on. Perhaps she will grace us with a post someday, a blog that you don't write in is like an unloaded handgun....why have one. We have been canning a few more tomatoes and the pears are ready to pick. We have a nice crop of pears this year. I transplanted a elderberry bush which promptly died. I should be cutting wood or moving hay instead of sitting here, but its a good excuse for a break!

Monday was fine day. The only souls on the farm were John, Noah and myself. What joy it is to work with your family. I put a big pile of hay down the hay hole for the one cow that stayed in the barn that day. While I bedded the stalls, I had the boys drag the hay down to Christy. One little arm load at a time they hauled that hay down and shook it up in front of her. That kept them busy for a long time! They worked hard and never stopped until they done. My favorite part of the day was the three of us, a 3 year old, a 1 year old and a 30 year old all sweeping the barn floor. Noah's broom was 3 times taller than he is, but he didn't let it bother him any. This job may not earn me much gold or prestige, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. What kind of price can you put on working with your little ones.

4 Comments:

At 9/20/2005 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, ok, Scott. I know I should post something, but have been very lazy about it. It still feels like I'm writing in a diary and I never liked those! I am going to start doing some stuff about our house and all that. That should make you happy! haha Hope all is well up there with everyone.

 
At 9/20/2005 9:04 PM, Blogger TNfarmgirl said...

Great post Scott. These are memories, for you and your sons, that you will treasure always. You are already turning their hearts toward the agrarian lifestyle!

Blessings!

 
At 9/22/2005 8:11 AM, Blogger Miss Seanna Hollinger said...

Dear Scott,

Thank you for sharing about Rick Jore's. We live very close to Montana and I have never heard of this before. Is there any other updates on Jore's situation? You did not have a comment section in that column.

Mrs. Hollinger

 
At 9/23/2005 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seanna

Sorry, I just noticed your comment tonite.

I have not heard anything new. We need to get the word out about his situation. I'm finding that not to many folks know anything about it. If and when I hear anything new I'll post it on the blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home