Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Homeschooling, Election Injustice, News from the Hill

Homeschooling

I've been thinking about homeschooling a bit lately. While the "Classical Approach" seems to be popular among reformed folk, I'm not sure its for me and my house. I could see incorparating parts of it, and it is interesting, but I don't think we'll be doing it. If anyone has any opinion one way or the other, I wouldn't mind hearing it.

Run For Office....Lose Your House

Remember Rick Jore? The Constitution Party canditate who ran for the state house in Montana. While after winning the election, even after several recounts, they stole it from him. Now it seems they are going to take his money and his home as well.

The results of last year's House District 12 election are finally complete. Justice lost.Acting on a court order, the Lake County sheriff on Aug. 31 confiscated the $543.60 from Rick Jore's checking accounts at Community Bank in Ronan. The bank took the remaining $25 in his account as its fee for the transaction. The rest goes to the Meloy-Trieweiler law firm in Helena, the firm that represented the Democratic candidate who won the Nov. 2 election with an appeal to the state Supreme Court.The worst of Jore's punishment is yet to come. An Aug. 25 order from state District Court Judge Kim Christopher of Polson directs Sheriff Bill Barron to collect from Jore a total of $15,663.56 - plus 10 percent interest dating to June 16. Finding but a fraction of that amount in Jore's bank accounts, the sheriff now is supposed to seize $15,119.96 worth of Jore's personal property, moving on to his house or land after that if necessary. For his trouble, the sheriff will collect a final $60 as his fee for taking Jore's money and property.

You can read the rest of this story here.

News From The Hilltop

We are having a bit of a heat wave out here. It was almost 90 yesterday and its going that high again today. Apples are getting ripe. The boys and I ate some yesterday. Plan on making cider with them when they are ready. We did get the roof up on our friends house. Went up pretty good. Leah made some peach jam that I can't stop eating. One of these days she'll put the recipe up on her blog. Meeting with some local folks that are against "Free Trade" tonight. We lost the CAFTA fight but we are gearing up for the FTAA battle.

9 Comments:

At 9/13/2005 3:55 PM, Blogger JFC said...

Scott,

I agree that classical education has some things of real value, but I would be leery about putting all my eggs in that basket. Doug Phillips points out that Biblical education is an endeavor grounded in the relationship between father and son, and any model which places the primary teaching in the hands of a non-parent is a step in the wrong direction. Of course, for those with kids in the government schools, Classical Christian education is certainly a step in the right direction. And there are things to be learned there, (IMO) even by the homeschooled.

Off topic, I've 'gone and done it' -- got my own blog ... the Aspiring Agrarian. Of course, I'm a greenhorn. But I hope some of your readers drop by from time to time.

JFC

 
At 9/14/2005 6:13 PM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

Jon

I agree. I would never put them in a school anyhow. Glad to see your blog up and running!

Milkmaid

Thanks for the input. I tend to agree with you on the whole thing.

Dave

Your welcome. Think nothing of it, thats what friends are for. You folks are top notch, I look forward to many years of fellowship.

 
At 9/14/2005 9:10 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

My thoughts on this tend to run on at length, so I posted them at my blog.
:-)

 
At 9/15/2005 7:28 PM, Blogger Abigail said...

That's some fine-lookin' jam.

You know I'm prone to spewing out a flood of words in blog discussions, so I'll cut this quick. On our next journey to Nanticoke, I would enjoy talking to you and Leah about the ideas you're starting to shape for future schooling. (As you know, John and I plan to use the Trivium as a framework, but I'd love to hear what you plan to implement. One of the many good things about home-schooling is its flexibility, and I'll gleefully snatch any good ideas that can be successfully sewn together.)

 
At 9/16/2005 12:52 PM, Blogger Patricia Bunk said...

I will have to comment on the subject of homeschooling. First I really love to home educate with the classical mind. I watched my oldest fall in the public education system. Through the past 10 years of homeschooling I found out how it can help your child. These are my own experiences, and with God he helped my family with this choice.

 
At 9/17/2005 7:04 PM, Blogger Abigail said...

Well-written, Puritan Mama.

I do not believe that the classical method's goal of giving children the tools and training to think and critically evaluate, by virtue of valuing the intellect, devalues our Creator. He is the Giver of intellect, no matter the variance of individual capabilities, and our children should see their capacity for learning as a gift from Him, which can be used in worship of Him first and foremost, in speaking to the unsaved about Him, and in enjoying all the good that He has given us. That having been said, it can certainly be (and has been, I'm sure) valued more than things of utmost value.

Teaching our children about our Lord, His word, and His Bride should be central to their schooling, no matter what the method one chooses, and it's neat to see Scott's readers in agreement on that most important truth even though the external trappings and methodology may vary!

 
At 9/20/2005 9:08 AM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

Thank you all for the comments. Heidi, I value your opinion a great deal. I will study the clasical education some more.

 
At 9/23/2005 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't see it mentioned but we loved and still reference "Teaching the Trivium" by the Bluedorns. They explain why and how to use the trivium (classical education) from a Biblical worldview. You shouldn't pass this up in your research, IMHO.
Enjoy reading your blog,
Mandy

 
At 10/05/2005 4:24 PM, Blogger Walter Jeffries said...

We homeschool and love it. School is always in session. Life is learning. We wake early, do chores (maintenance), then construction in the morning light. During the heat of the day when the sun is high we are inside for book work, paper work and computer work. Some of that is business, some is educational. Everyday everyone gets some educational time. The kids learn more in less time than would be wasted in a public school assembly line education. After the heat of the day we get to go outside again. This works great for our family and we have built our lives around being able to do that together.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home