Saturday, September 24, 2005

Saturday Evening Post

Seasons

I hope everyone is doing well. We are getting ready to start canning peaches this week. Got most of the pears picked, not ready to can just yet. We are packing the cupboards full of canned goods like squirrels stuffing their hole full of nuts. Fall is one of my favorite times of year. The cooler weather and shorter days just feel good after a long hot summer. With fall comes new tasks for us out here. Getting the barns battened up for the coming snow and chill, getting ready to start trapping and whitetail season is just around the corner. The wood piles start climbing to the sky, only to be gone before spring. Cycles that never end. Tom (Northern Farmer) once said that 3 of the 4 seasons are spent getting ready to survive one. I agree. Winter is the toughest time for us. More work and the least amount of cash flow of the year. Still there are things about winter that I wouldn't want to give up. Fresh snows, without a single footprint and spruce and hemlocks with their powdery coating. Lets not forget that winter also provides me with my favorite sensation......getting warm after freezing all day. Nothing compares to getting warm next to a wood fire after working out in the cold all day. OK, maybe a cold beer after baling hay, but you understand.

Paleoconservitive politics

In an effort to keep Homesteader Life a blog dedicated to agrarian economics, homesteading and sustainable agriculture, I have set up another spot for my Political-Conspiracy thoughts. I don't know how much I'll do with it, but when the NeoCons get me all worked up--thats where I'll put my thoughts and comments on the news. The Rural Patriot

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home