Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Bluegills and Cherries

Every time Johnny and I have planned to go fishing this year something has stopped us. Cows get out, have to hunt down a fresh cow and calf, thunder storm, or something else that has to be done. Last night I had a list of stuff to do after supper. Johnny looked at me and said, "Why don't we just go fishin' , dad". My answer was "why not!". We dug a few worms, grabbed our poles and the boy's little tackle box and went fishing. This was Johns first time fishing so I figured it would be quite an adventure! To make a long story short, John caught his first fish last night. On his own pole, and he realed it in by himself. He will be 3 in a couple weeks, so its really quite an acomplishment. He was so happy and proud of that fish. As soon as he got it out of the water he ran to the tackle box his grandpa gave him to find his fishin' book. He told me he was "Gonna figer out what kind it is". The little buger matched it with a picture and asked me to read the name for him. It was a little bluegill, probably 6 inches or so. I never did catch anything that night. The trip home was a good time. He first wanted to show momma becouse, "She'll be happy, she likes eatin' fishes". Then off to both sets of grandparents for pictures and a chance to tell the story. He told everyone that when we got home, "Daddys gonna pull out his guts, cut off his head and clean 'em so I can eat 'em for my supper!" Both the boys helped clean the fish and today John wants to fry him up with some butter. It don't amount to much meat but Johnny caught it and provided meat for the family and he is very proud of himself.

We started picking cherries yesterday from our trees. We plan on making some jam out of them. The boys eat them as fast as they can! John is so proud of the fruit trees. He is always telling everyone about them. He can't let a day pass without begging me to "Go check the fruit". I told him yesterday that we would make some jam out of the cherries and he came running up with a loaf of bread and says, "Let do it........NOW" It sure is fun raising these boys out here under the conditions we have. A blessing really.

3 Comments:

At 6/29/2005 1:35 PM, Blogger Herrick Kimball said...

Scott,

That's a great story.

 
At 6/30/2005 5:59 AM, Blogger Danielle said...

That is a great story. Since we have a little man in the making it is encourageing to know how young your son is and how he is going fishing already. I don't want to hold my son back from doing things because I think he is too young...ya know? I thought it was really neat how he wanted to check in his book...what was the book called? Anyway, you asked where we are from because we've got our beans ready...we live in the midwest. Spring starts fairly early and so do we in planting. We've got tomotoes already on the vine...but they are still green. The strawberries were ready the first week in June but have given all they've got by the third week in June. The blackberries are just starting to do their thing, but the raspberries have been producing for about 2 weeks. I hope that gives you an idea. We live in zone 5 or 6. My husband is hungry so I'm off to make steel cut oats...:o)

 
At 6/30/2005 9:31 AM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

The book was just a little fishing guide booklet that had a page with all the different kinds of fish on it. We have tomatoes, still green, and peas and have been eating broccoli for a while now. The beans are behind a little for some reason.

One thing I never do is treat my boys like they are stupid just because they are small and young. I try to teach them about everything from the first day they are born. They understand a lot more than we think. I also let them do things most people would think was a little much, but I figure you learn by doing. John was riding the tractor with me when he was just a few months old! I have tried to take my time and not be in a hurry so much. If it takes longer to do a job because my help hold me up, so be it. It will pay off big time latter. Those are a few thoughts on little boys. I should add this disclaimer......
I am not an old man. I only have 2 young children, and know very little about raising children. I do not claim to be any kind of expert. I ask a lot people for advice. My experiment seems to be working......but I may change my mind latter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home