Saturday, May 07, 2005

Stuff to Read and What We're Doing

A few things to read

I liked RC JR's latest post called The Wars Within Our Walls . Here is a taste......

It ought to demonstrate my own indebtedness to Anabaptist living that one of the internal purpose statements we used to use here at the Highlands Study Center was that we exist, “to help the anabaptist’s think like the Reformed and the Reformed live life the Anabaptists.” It has long been my contention that Anabaptists get high marks for living, if not talking, in a covenantal manner. These folks tend to raise their children in the context of their convictions. The husbands, more often than not, are the heads of their homes. They rightly eschew the wisdom and practices of the world. On the other hand, their theology is, as one might expect from radical Reformers, a-historical and leans well to the left. (And if this doesn’t describe you, well then it doesn’t describe you and you have nothing to complain about.)

We who are Reformed, on the other hand, tend to practice a delicate balance of a sold-out commitment to the Bible without in turn denying the fifth commandment. We honor our fathers, and recognize that while the church is continuing to reform, God didn’t abandon the church from 70 AD to this hour. We learn from our fathers, just as our fathers during the Reformation learned from their fathers. Reformed folk, on the other hand, tend to more embrace the world and its wisdom. Our lives are virtually indistinguishable from the world around us.

Rick had a good post this week on An example of Christian community. Its about a group of folks from NY City that moved away and built an agrarian community. If you haven't read it yet, I think you'll want to.

I liked Chad's post, Let’s Play Church! Pastor Thomas C. McConnell had some interesting comments.

What we're doing

We planted that apple tree last night. Little Noah kept throwing the dirt back down the hole as fast as I was digging it out. I moved a springing heifer over to the milk cow barn yesterday afternoon before milking. She is out of one of our home bred bulls. The queen of the herd, the one and only Elsie, will calve this month. She is 13 years old now. Little John likes her couse she lets him ride her. The chicks are growing fast, already have wing feathers. We got some railroad ties to make raised beds for strawberries. This might be the last Sunday we have church at the feed mill. I kinda liked having it there. I need to get working on the pig fence pretty soon. They tell me the phone will be working by Tue, but I'll believe it when I hear a dial tone! I'm getting exited about going to Virginia, even got me a road atlas the other day when I was in town. I haven't been on a real road trip in a long time. I'm thinking that if I'm going to be in Virginia on a Saturday I'll never be any closer to Bristol on a Sunday, so we might try to make it there for worship.

3 Comments:

At 5/07/2005 8:23 AM, Blogger Valerie (Kyriosity) said...

Do it. Bristol for worship, that is!

 
At 5/07/2005 6:19 PM, Blogger Abigail said...

When that choo-hoo crashes, I'll point the feds straight to your berry beds, Mr. "Lightfingers" Terry...

p.s. Hopefully this won't happen until after your road trip, as I am truly excited for you, Leah, and the boys. Hurrah!

 
At 5/07/2005 6:21 PM, Blogger Abigail said...

hoo hoo.
boo hoo, i meant choo choo.

this is the second post on the second blog tonight that i've had to correct. sigh. late nights and little brain make abigail a dull girl.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home