Thursday, May 05, 2005

Whats growing and Where I'm Going

It has warmed up a bit out here. The peas started peaking through the dirt. Not to much longer and we can start planting some other stuff. The blueberries are doing pretty good. I just got a new apple tree to plant. I'm a big fan of the Macs. I found a disease resistant tree that was developed here in NY. They call it the MacFree. It is on sale right now, you might want to give it a try. I hope to get it planted soon. We moved calves today from the "nursery" area over to the calf barn across the road. The big ones I had to lead and the little ones we hauled on the golf cart. We have had quite a few heifer calves this year. We are working on a new system for the calves on milk. They are now going to have access to grass like everyone else. They will have a bedded pack to come into when they want and at feeding time. We think they will be healthier and happier outside and learn to be better graziers when they grow up. It looks like I might be going to the Salatin farm for the shinding in July. I haven't left the farm for an overnight trip in several years. Now that my folks are in poor health I can't leave very often anymore. Dad said I should take the family and go if I want to. He is going to hire someone to take my place. Well, to do my work anyway. So barring any great injuries or disasters I should be able to go. I know, I know, I finally take a vacation and where do I go........another farm. I'm hopeless.

2 Comments:

At 5/05/2005 10:53 AM, Blogger Valerie (Kyriosity) said...

It's probably totally inconvenient both in terms of time and location, but if the Terrys wnted to swing by Baltimore on the way to or from Virginia, I now have two guest rooms!

 
At 5/05/2005 3:04 PM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

Hey Valerie

Thanks for the invite. I haven't mapped out a route yet or know how long we can be gone for. I'll keep it mind, we'd love to meet ya in person sometime.

Scott

 

Post a Comment

<< Home