Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Chicks, Hogs, Grass and More

John and Noah are now the proud owners of some baby chicks. Grandma came back from Tractor Supply with a box of chicks for the boys. Now I have more animals in the house than people. We will be mail ordering chicks sometime soon, but the boys need to have some that are "just theirs". You never know how many dad and I will order. Sometimes 50 and sometimes 950. Depends how adventurous we will that day! Speaking of chickens, Chad told me that Mr. Kimball knows a thing or two about Chicken Pluckers. If your in the market for one you may want to check out his book. We also got strawberry plants in the mail today. Now I've got to get busy getting ready to plant them. We need 30 hour days, that way I might get every thing done! I have decided to raise pastured pigs this year. Hope to get the fence up in the next couple of weeks. This will be a trial run this year. We'll see how well they sell and how much we make on them. If it works out the potential is almost unlimited. We have lots of marginal land around that would be great for hogs. The dairy herd went out to grass to day! The first day of grazing is always fun. Watching the girls eat all that new grass and seeing them spread their own manure. A lot less trips on the tractor with the spreader now. Spring turkey hunting is coming up soon. Little John has it in his head that we're going. I'm sure calling in turkeys with a 2.5 year old will be fun. He wants to take his toy shotgun with him. Well, I'm gonna head up the hill. They still haven't put the phone line in yet so I'm "remote blogging".

3 Comments:

At 4/27/2005 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott, I stummbled onto your site last week in a round about way from the Agrarian Foundation and I'm totally amazed at what your up to over your way. Very similar to us farming in central Minnesota. We don't dairy, mainly raise black angus but seem to have similar projects, such as the chickens, pasture hogs and more. Anyway thanks for the good reading.
Tom Scepaniak

rafter63@fallsnet.com

 
At 4/28/2005 3:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Scott,

I guess there are no secrets on the internet. Yes, I'm the guy who developed the Whizbang homemade chicken plucker and published the plans in a book.

I self produced and published that book back in the spring of 2002. Since then it has sold remarkably well. There are now hundreds of homemade Whizbang pluckers in use all across the US and around the world.

My foray into agrarian self publishing has been blessed by God and I give Him the glory. "Whizbang Books," is the name of my little publishing company and my subtitle is: "Down-to-Earth Inspiration and How-To Informatian."

For now, I have what I call a "Joe Friday" web page at www.whizbangbooks.com

One day it will be a web site. But until then, folks who are curious about the plucker might want to check out the Yahoo group I started. It's called WhizbangChickenPluckers and now has over 1,100 members. If nothing else, I encourage fellow homeschooling, and Christian agrarians to check out the photo on the homepage of the group. It shows the 9 children of the David Eley family in Indiana standing behind their homemade Whizbang, plucked chickens in hand, with big happy smiles on their faces. It is a beautiful, encouraging picture that I think those who read your blog will appreciate, even if they don't raise chickens.

I hope the link to the group will come out on this blog if I just type it in (I'm new here). Here it is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/whizbangchickenpluckers/

There is more that I could say but I don't want to sound like a crass commercial message... just figured I'd add a little to what you said.

It's nice to know a fellow "berry pickin', chicken pluckin', buck skinnin'" Christian agrarian like yourself. I continue to marvel at the internet.

Best Whizbang whishes,

Herrick Kimball

 
At 4/28/2005 4:40 AM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

Tom

Nice to meet you. We sold a jersey at a sale in Minn a couple years back, but I didn't get to go up. Glad you found my little blog.


Herrick

This internet is a crazy thing ain't it. You didn't sound like a "crass commercial" and I'm glad you told everyone the story. I hope you sell some more books! Your right 9 kids and a chicken plucker is a wonderful sight to behold!

Scott

 

Post a Comment

<< Home