Tuesday, May 03, 2005

The Sin of Birth Control and The Death of The Family Farm

The notion that "labor saving devices" are a blessing is largely accepted today. The notion that that large families are a curse (in deed if not in words) is also accepted by many. As a farmer, I must challenge this mindset. I have been a lover of old barns for most of my life. Today they are hated by the progressive farmers as inefficient and old fashion. Remnants of a time when farmers were ignorant folks. I often have wondered how the old timers did it all. The barns are neat but require a lot of labor to get the work done. The crops were put up by hand and they milked almost as many cows as I do. When I was a boy I would ask the old guys how they got it all done. "We had a large family" they would say. It was easy to get the work done because many hands make for light work. The work was more enjoyable as well. 6 or 8 family members working together on a job, talking and joking around. Sure beats sitting in a lonely tractor cab for 10 hours cultivating beans or corn the modern way. The way I see it, none of the labor saving devices that have made us lonely, poor, overproducers and killers of the soil would have ever come about if we hadn't made the decision to limit children. The sin of birth control has killed the family farm. Our judgment for hating our own fertility has been the end of our farms fertility. The idea that the old timers were ignorant fools for having large families is pagan to the core. "That stupid mountain woman's got 10 kids." The moderns figure she's to stupid to realize that having sex will make you pregnant. We must remember that obeying God will always look foolish to the world. Somehow I think even in the 1700s people knew how babies were made and could probably figure out creative ways to prevent it. Lets not buy the lie that they were stupid underevolved creatures......a little Darwinistic ain't it. Only the moderns could look back to a time when farms were happy and profitable and call it bad. Then turn around and say a bunch of debt ridden, unhappy, childless farms are "God's gift to the world".

7 Comments:

At 5/03/2005 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heidi

Haven't heard from you in a while! Hope all is going well with your new place. I haven't read the book yet. I have seen parts of it and read some reviews. I plan on getting sometime. I like what your brother has to say! A bloodless coup.....lets do it! Even if a fraction of us do it we will still overtake them before its all done! Always good to hear from you, thanks for the input.

 
At 5/03/2005 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well thought and well said Scott.

And I like the way you think Puritan Mama. I just recently read "Better Off" and enjoyed it.

I also enjoyed Joel Salatin's "Family Friendly Farming." Scott, I think you may have mentioned in a previous post that you have not read this book of Joel's yet. If I can find my copy I would be glad to loan it to you. I can ship it via media mail cheaply (I'll pay the postage), and you can mail it back to me when you're done with it. Otherwise, it's an expensive book to buy. I think the book would give you some good material for this Blog.

Send me an e-mail with your postal address if you'd like to take me up on this offer.

Best wishes,

Herrick Kimball
hckimball@bci.net

 
At 5/04/2005 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

" ... we should stage a bloodless coup on this corrupt nation - that is, we'll overtake them by having more babies - covenant babies - till we overtake them at every level of society. THAT is the true cultural mandate.
And that would be something to see!"

Amen. And Amen.

But I must take issue with the word "bloodless." I don't know anybody with a bunch of kids who would call it "bloodless." From birth through the stitches and accident years, there's plenty of blood.

JFC

 
At 5/04/2005 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon

OK, you got a point there!

Scott

 
At 5/04/2005 9:23 AM, Blogger Valerie (Kyriosity) said...

"The serpent was craftier than any of the beasts of the field."

Amazing, innit, how in the Bible the Enemy often got people to rebel against God by worshiping fertility (Baal and Ashtoreth), and now in our culture it's the opposite.

 
At 10/14/2005 11:09 AM, Blogger Walter Jeffries said...

I have seven brothers and sisters.. My parents tell the story that people were always asking them very pointedly "when they planned to stop having kids?", "didn't they know about birth control?!", etc. So my mom came up with the following reply: "Yes, of course, well we finally figured it out. It was those dang plastic cups in the bathroom. We switched to paper cups which we heard were more sanitary, and presto - no more babies!" That usually shut up the busy bodies. My parents got a kick out of telling them that, you see both of my parents are family physicians, a.k.a., country docs. :)

 
At 2/26/2009 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fuck Jesus. Fuck you. Fuck your ideas. Fuck farming. Fuck children. Eat shit and die.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home