Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Milk Fever, The Phone, and The Book

Milk Fever

What a day! I got up late and then found one of our most valuable cows almost dead with milk fever. Spent an hour doctoring her before I could start milking. Four bottles of calcuim latter, she is up and eating. She is a granddaughter of the great Aron cow from Meri-Acres. Aron was EX 96 and holds the world record for lifetimes production. She lived to be twenty some years old and was the grand champion at the All-American in her younger years. My cow is a Jude out of Aron's 92 point Abe daughter. She just calved in with a nice hiefer calf by Ressurection. Anyhow, this whole deal kinda messed up my day.

Phone

We got the phone hooked up yesterday! This is my first post from the hill top homestead, no more remote blogging for me. We had to run our own line around the house. Little John said he was going to help becouse he "wanted to learn supin' ". I was proud of the little guy, he learned how to splice wires and he even helped tape them up. Not bad for a not quite 3 year old. The number up here for any one wishing to call us is 607-692-3294.

The Book

As you might have guessed I haven't had a chance to read much more. Last night I started and John wanted to play with his baby chicks, so the "family friendly farmer" put down the book and we talked about chickens for the rest of the night! I will get back to commenting on it soon, it is very good stuff.

4 Comments:

At 5/11/2005 11:00 PM, Blogger B. D. Buie said...

Sorry to hear about your cow. Hope she gets better soon. On a side note, I finally broke down and got a Blogger. Oh, and I sent you another email. Lord be with you.

 
At 5/12/2005 6:42 AM, Blogger Valerie (Kyriosity) said...

Buie, your picture is a hoot. Is that Edwards in the dress?

 
At 5/12/2005 6:51 AM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

That really cracked me up! My wife had to come see why I was laughing so hard. It is a hoot.

Scott

 
At 5/13/2005 1:50 AM, Blogger B. D. Buie said...

Glad to hear ya'll liked it. And yes, that is Edwards in the dress. I was too scared to put Calvin in it, but the way i see it: at least Edwards could look like a girl, just a really ugly one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home