Monday, April 11, 2005

More Garden Stuff

Well, here's the deal. I've decided to limit the "layered garden experiment" to a 12ft by 12ft square. Its taking a lot of time to build and I don't want all my eggs in one basket anyhow. I think that will be big enough to grow my tomatoes and peppers. The rest I'll grow in the dirt. After making up my mind on that I went right to work on the dirt. I figured that hill top would be nothing but rocks and hardpan. To my surprise its wonderful soil with nary a stone to be found. Just the other side of the barbwire fence its rocks and more rocks. The trick is not plowing it. I am using a "garden claw". After peeling off the sod I give it a twist with this strange gadget I found in the shop and voila.......6 inches of seed bed that looks like I've rotto tilled it 6 times! I knew if I lived long enough somthin' was bound to go my way. I can't believe how fast this is going. If I went much deeper I'm sure I'd pull up a lot of shale, that's why a plow can't be used up there. After working at it for a spell I realized that I've done this whole garden this year without the use of any modern power, just simple hand tools and my back. Now I've got this crazy idea that I'll keep it that way, just to prove I can! Its a good feeling to stand back and see all that fresh tilled earth and the layered spot we made and know I've a done it all the "old way". I sit on a tractor plenty, and this is a welcome change of pace. Plan to plant the peas this week. Hey, why don't you turn off that computer and go get some dirt on your hands!

5 Comments:

At 4/11/2005 12:36 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Hey 12 ft by 12 ft ain't bad...especially considering our "lot" is 4 ft by 4 ft! hehehe

BTW-I have some Morning Glory seeds if you would like them. They would look lovely growing up that bird feeder and anywhere else you can imagine. Ask your folks if they might want some too-I have 20 packets that were given to me!

 
At 4/11/2005 3:31 PM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

Hey, sounds good. I'll take some. If I was limited to 12x12 we wouldn't make it through the winter! Hope to work some more dirt up soon. I want to plant peas this week.

Dreaming of peach pie,
Scott

 
At 4/12/2005 7:56 PM, Blogger Abigail said...

I've got dirt on my feet. Does that count for something? Once the frosty season passes, I'll be up to my elbows in soil, clay, rocks, and pieces of glass, hewing with all my might!

I'm amazed at how much junk has surfaced again this year. It'll be nice to grow in dirt that's mostly dirt someday! :)

 
At 4/13/2005 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Throw some pumpkin or squash seeds in the old sheep stack, maybe some tatters unless your planning on hauling it out. This year we made a shabby lean too for a green house and it is really nice, lots of little green plants for a half day of work. Plus I got a new cordless drill (early fathers day present she says) Anything for her plants. Good luck.

 
At 4/14/2005 6:35 AM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

Yep, squash dose really well in old manure and hay piles. Saves space in the garden too.

Scott

 

Post a Comment

<< Home