Saturday, April 02, 2005

The Garden, and Other News

As I told you all before, this year we are trying a New Kind of Garden. Yesterday Little John and I started work on building it up. We used to have sheep in a pasture not far from the garden spot. I fed them round bales of hay there and they wasted quite a bit of it. I always fed it in the same spot so there is a small mountain of old hay that has been rotting down for about 2 years. Its to wet to get the loader tractor in there so we started using the wheelbarrow. I'm glad I started now, it could take a while to get this job done! This rotted hay is going to be the base, other stuff I'm going to incorporate into mix is some old dried chicken manure, a mess of hardwood ashes, and I might even add a layer of peat and some topsoil from where we did the driveway. Then we will top it off with dry hay for mulch. This will be interesting to say the least. To build a garden big enough to grow what I'm used to growing is going to take some time. I'm moving slow these days. I hurt my knee pretty bad about 4 or 5 days ago. I can barely stand on it. It needs to be rested I'm sure, but in this business it just ain't possible! With 50 little brown ladies that need to be milked twice a day I don't think its going to be better any time soon. John is doing a fine job taking care of his pup. He feeds and waters it without being asked. He takes her outside to do her business without complaint wether rain, wind, or cold. Its good for the little guy to have something that relies on him. Rebecca has a good Peach Pie Recipe for everyone. I love pies.

4 Comments:

At 4/04/2005 6:32 PM, Blogger Abigail said...

Let us know how well it works! I can be easily swayed from using manure mulch alone if the tomatoes turn out extra plump!

 
At 4/04/2005 6:35 PM, Blogger Abigail said...

Oh, and hope the leg's feeling better. If a knee brace might help, call down to my folks' house. I have one that I lent to Debbie for this past soccer season. You're welcome to borrow it if you think it might help at all.

 
At 4/05/2005 6:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that's it. I guess I am just going to have to bake you a pie. Given your weakened state, your love for pies, and your link to my blog.... :)

 
At 4/07/2005 6:17 AM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

I'm holding to your promise Lady Newman. I can almost taste it now!

Scott

 

Post a Comment

<< Home