Friday, March 25, 2005

In Praise of Dirt, News From Hunger Hill

Petting Zoos,Kids,and Soap

Its national news, kids getting sick from petting animals. Are animals dirtier than they used to be? Nope. This is a perfect example of our wacky culture killing us off! Now, I've grown up around animals, dirt, manure, and many other natural pathogens. Do I get sick? Nope. Why? Simple.....I didn't grow up around anti-bacterial soap, sparkling clean over bleached bathrooms, sanitary hand wipes, home air cleaning machines and all the other inventions that the moderns call "progress". Now I'm not against being clean, but being too clean is far worse than being dirty. My kids are growing up like I did, in the barn and woods. I never will have to worry about them getting sick from petting a goat, heck John has been wrangling goats since he learned to walk. Last spring a fella from church came over with his young son. The boy was standing in the driveway down by the cow barn. He looked confused. He said, "What is this?" I asked, "What is what?" He says, "This stuff". Folks, he was pointing at the mud! The boy had never seen MUD. Do your kids a favor, let 'em get dirty.

Whats New

Tuesday night we had Matt, Rebecca, Corynn, Abby, Millie, and Dave over. The men folk enjoyed homebrew and conversation. The kids played with the spring horse and toy guns and blocks. The women talked, as women do.

Wendsday I got up late. Was tired all day. It snowed alot. My wife pushed the car up Mt Hunger Hill and then up my driveway. She's a good wife!

Thursday the milk tester came in the evening. Otherwise a normal day. After supper we started our new family bible study of first and second Samuel. We are reading A Son To Me by Peter Leithart.

This is friday and I just got the morning milking done, and it is much to early to tell if it will be a good day or not!

10 Comments:

At 3/25/2005 4:35 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Mr.Terry

I do trust that Abby didn't go home empty-handed.
Like you, I think I should have stayed up tuesday night.

 
At 3/25/2005 5:28 AM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

Matt

I don't think she took any home to John. I forgot to remind her, and I'm not sure if the ole boy is going to get any.

Scott

 
At 3/25/2005 11:11 AM, Blogger Valerie (Kyriosity) said...

Oh, I see! The women merely "talked" while the men ever so much more respectably "enjoyed conversation." ;-)

That mud thing is sad. At first I thought you were going to say he didn't know what a goat was...but not to know what mud is? Haul that boy's parents in for criminal neglect!

 
At 3/25/2005 3:01 PM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

yes, the mud thing is pretty sad! I just couldn't believe it.

Scott

 
At 3/26/2005 7:02 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

In defense of the "little tyke"...(because he needs SOMEONE to defend him...), knowing the particular child...I know he knew what MUD was-what he was asking was whether or not that mud was MANURE. And second of all-you know as well as I do, this little boy would say anything to draw attention to himself. That's my take.

 
At 3/26/2005 11:43 AM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

Rebecca

Well, you were not there were you? He was not asking if it was manure. He really had not ever been in mud before. Why are you so jumpy anyway? I remeber you being sooo suprised that potatoes grow underground! Perhaps the two of you can plant a tater tree in the mud together! :)

Love
Scott

 
At 3/28/2005 10:36 AM, Blogger Abigail said...

I edited a paper this morning on the subject of Equine Piroplasmosis/Babesiosis. Tongue-twisting. The opening sentences?

"Eradication and control of tick-borne diseases are ever-growing concerns for the United States, due to the constant evolution of infectious agents, enhanced international travel, intensification of animal production systems, and the looming threat of bioterrorism. Equine piroplasmosis is a cause for concern given the disease establishment in southern Florida and the potential introduction of the disease from imported horses."

The truth is that, in a sense, certain animals in some areas ARE dirtier than they used to be, especially with disease-stuffed rats, insects, and all else sneaking their landward way off of boats from other lands.

This of course, is no reason to refrain from the good life. I just like to be contentious, you know, like women do.

(And for the record, Millie's mud-stained bare feet are virtually indistinguishable from those of a country lass, although the mud here in Depew is probably less healthy than it is in Nanticoke. We hear there's land available...)

p.s. I did arrive with empty hands, and my boy feels the lack.

 
At 3/28/2005 10:39 AM, Blogger Abigail said...

oh.

I'm not being contentious about the overuse of anti-bacterial soap and such doing more harm than good, just like I wouldn't argue with the overuse of antibiotics doing the same.

Cautiously avoiding spats that may deprive my dear one of home brew,
Abigail

 
At 3/31/2005 8:11 PM, Blogger Chad said...

The only anti-bacterial substance that I use regularly is strong drink!

 
At 4/01/2005 3:18 AM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

Chad

Me Too!!!

Scott

 

Post a Comment

<< Home