Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Birds, Blueberries, and Fruit Trees

Birds

I like birds. They are neat little creatures. I have, over the years, grown into a bird watcher of sorts. The new homesite is a bird watchers paradise. We put up a couple of different feeders out by the big window in the kitchen. Yesterday morning at breakfast I saw the following group of feathered friends. A pair of blue jays, a pair of cardinals, a woodpecker, some chickadees, sparrows, redwing blackbirds, a titmouse, and a woodcock that was just strolling by. All those birds were at the feeder at the same time!


Blueberries

Friday I've got 10 blueberry plants comming. They are rooted cuttings so I won't be harvesting them for some time, but the price is right. I can buy 10 of them for the price of two 2 year old plants. The blueberries are a long term investment I will be planting sets of them for a couple of years. We have great soil for them here, very acid. I'm only going to try 10 this year to see how many rooted cutting live through the transplanting. If it works I'll go nuts next spring.

Fruit Trees

Here is the best place I've found for fruit trees and berry plants. Have them send you a catolog.
MILLER NURSERIES
I'm not sure how many new apple trees I'll be able to afford to plant this year. I have an old orchard that needs relaiming and will work at that for sure. It has cherry, pear, and apple trees in it.

5 Comments:

At 4/13/2005 2:55 PM, Blogger Abigail said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4/13/2005 8:07 PM, Blogger Abigail said...

Thank goodness my bird-tinged post came before yours, otherwise I would have thought we were thinking alike. Wait a minute, you did see my last post before you wrote this, didn't you? (Oh, great. Maybe we ARE thinking alike. Spring and soil and birds on the brain. At least the upper half of the East Coast is keeping us company in likeminded thoughts...)

Great post, by the way. I love imagining the fruits that your labor will bear. I bet Grandpa Manwaring would be pleased to see you and Leah reclaiming the orchard, too!

 
At 4/14/2005 1:45 AM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

Abby

No, I had not seen your post. Scary ain't it. Next thing you know I'll be using big fancy words and you'll be wearing a dirty old John Deere hat! Hope you are getting over that cold, tell all I said hello.

Scott

 
At 4/14/2005 4:53 PM, Blogger Premodern Bloke said...

I have had good results from blueberries and apple trees from Miller's Nursery. Our area is particularly bad when it comes to fireblight, so I have to stick to apple varieties like Freedom and Liberty, which are highly resistant.

Many folks here in Kentucky were surprised to see that blueberries would grow in our area, but I just added some soil acidifier and they did well.

Jeff Schmidt

 
At 4/15/2005 11:56 AM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

Growing up we had a Rochester Peach tree from millers that was the most productive tree around. Peaches don't do so well in the hill country where I farm now, and I realy miss those fresh peaches! I planted one for my mother here 4 years ago. It stays alive but thats it, it just lives. Cherries, apples and pears all do well here so thats what we play around with now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home