Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A Sappy Love Story

The weather man says that its warming up into the 40's for the next few days. Good thing, house waters froze up and the wood pile is gettin' low again. I've got a million things to do and not a whole lot of time to get them done. Cutting up some more wood is first on my list. Some one remind me next year to cut some more when I think I'm done :) . Besides getting wood for the house, I need to get a bunch done for the evaporator. In years past I would have started tapping today. Many Valentines Days have been spent tappin' trees. This year I'm not quite ready and I think we have another good cold snap or two before season is in full swing. Come to think of it, Leah's and my first Valentine's Day was spent tapping trees. Our whole courtin' experience only spanned a maple season. I got up the nerve to ask her out to dinner just before the season started. She helped me with the syrup and a few milkin's, so I figured she was a keeper. We were engaged 6 weeks after that dinner, no sense beatin' round the bush. I sold my prized savage .22-250 and bought a ring. On the way home from the store I swung by her house and asked her if she wanted to go down to the bottom of the hill and see how much sap we had in the buckets. I parked the pickup by a big maple (a 4-tapper) , whipped out the ring and asked her to marry me. We was hitched 3.5 months later (after the cows were out on grass). The rest is history. A true "Sappy Love Story"

8 Comments:

At 2/14/2006 5:48 PM, Blogger JFC said...

Love the story, Scott. Sounds to be like you're BOTH keepers!

 
At 2/14/2006 7:02 PM, Blogger Missouri Rev said...

Sounds kind of "syrupy" to me, though real sweet.

 
At 2/14/2006 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I am impressed. You sold your .22-250 for a ring. Leah rates for sure! Neat story.

 
At 2/14/2006 11:19 PM, Blogger Hexdek16 said...

Nice story, we'll have to share our gettin' hitched events with you sometime soon. Our courtship was rather short as well. Happy Halmark Holiday to you two!
(::Grin::)

 
At 2/15/2006 4:40 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks for sharing your courtship story with us, Scott! :) We were also a short courtship. From the time we met to our marriage, it was only 5 months!

 
At 2/15/2006 7:40 AM, Blogger Tom Scepaniak said...

Good story Scott. Imagine, trading in a good rifle for the love of your life.
Just wanted to say don't get to comfey over your way, it's below zero here now and the next few days are going to be a heck of a lot colder.(That's why I'm writing in mid-morning, warming up). Get that wood in!

 
At 2/15/2006 8:53 AM, Blogger Christine said...

I love sappy romantic courtship stories!!

 
At 2/15/2006 5:51 PM, Blogger James said...

Well, up until now I've had a solid rule, "Never sell a gun." In your case, I'm willing to make an exception. And way to go on not wasting time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home