Monday, January 16, 2006

Has it Been a Year?

This morning I noticed that Homesteader Life just had a birthday, I think they call that a blogaversery. It doesn't seem like its been year since I started this crazy thing. Looking back, I have to laugh, I never thought anyone would read it(much less take it seriously)
and within a years time it sort of took on life of its own. I had no idea that there were other Christians who had the same thoughts and ideas that I did. People were stopping in here, not because I was a gifted writer or that I "had all the answers", but becouse they were just plain thrilled to see that they were likeminded folks out there. They found a place to hang out where they we not treated as bonified nut cases but valued contrbutors. Frankly, the quality of the stuff I've been doing here the last few months has slipped a bit. I've been taxed for time and energy, as of late. The beauty is it don't matter anyhow becouse most of my origanal readers and commenters have started their own blogs and they have far surpassed this one in many respects. The whole idea of distinctivly Christian Agrarianism has come a long way, and our merry little band of bloggers has played a role in the advancment of this cause. I'm looking foward, Lord willing, to continuing the battle of ideas in this new year. One thing I would like to tackle is how the church as a whole has abondoned the concept of covenantal stewardship and why they have a negative veiw of creation in general. Stay tuned.

5 Comments:

At 1/16/2006 6:53 AM, Blogger JFC said...

Happy birthday, Homesteader Life. Has it really only been a year? I can't believe it; I must have been reading from almost the beginning. I tried to remember how I got into this Agrarian Blogging Community, and I think it was from a comment you made at the House of Degenhart. Funny, though. I don't remember what it was that got me to his site. Probably a post on the evils of usury that the Missouri Rev. forward to me.

Anyway, Happy Birthday!

 
At 1/16/2006 10:39 AM, Blogger Missouri Rev said...

I look forward to the discussions as to why “the church as a whole has abandoned the concept of covenantal stewardship and why they have a negative view of creation in general.” Covenant means boundaries and sacred obligation, for which our autonomy worshipping culture despises and mocks. I believe the Lord’s people have, to a greater extent then they would admit, bought into the false neutrality of “American freedom” where they can pretty much do as they please when it comes to earning a living, using earth’s resources, planning for the future, investing, and all the other things common to daily living. After all, “the Bible really doesn’t address these things in detail and, besides, we live in the age of grace where such archaic “Old Testament” practices as covenantal faithfulness and obedience to commandments are no longer required.”

There is an arrogant ambivalence that permeates American Christendom that assumes, because of short-term, live for now thinking, that the economic system that runs our nation today is biblically based and, thus, condoned of God. “Just look at all of the prosperity and opportunity we have compared to other nations.” This carnal worldview is based upon subjective comparisons and not the Word of God which emphatically states that man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. This carnal “Christian” worldview also involves ungodly compartmentalizing where no associations are made between covenantal faithfulness and God’s blessing and covenantal unfaithfulness and His curses. This form of secular tunnel vision leads to a blindness which refuses to see that the brazen, overt paganism that has taken our nation captive is directly related to the ungodly economics that we embrace, in covenantal unfaithfulness, for the mother’s milk of a pagan culture is pagan economics. The same is said for the ungodly agrarianism that is destroying our nation’s created lands and resources. Oh well, there is my two-cents worth of musings; perhaps it will spark some discussion.

 
At 1/16/2006 2:32 PM, Blogger Tom Scepaniak said...

Scott,
I was just looking up in your blog the first time I ever responded to it or any blog for that matter, 4/27/05. I think I found it a few days before, but I knew when I did I was home! Thanks for what you started!

Tom

 
At 1/16/2006 6:14 PM, Blogger Christine said...

A whole year! That's wonderful! Happy anniversary!

I am sure glad you all are out there! It makes a kindred heart and soul very joyful!

 
At 1/17/2006 3:32 AM, Blogger Herrick Kimball said...

Happy Birthday homesteader Life.

I think I found my way here starting with a "Draught Horse Press" catalog that came in the mail one day. I listened to the free "Basement Tape" cd sample enclosed and ordered the set. That led me to the Draught Horse Press site, which led me to Rick Saenz's Dry Creek Chronicles Blog. Then one day I found my way from there to here. There might have been another blog in between (perhaps "House of Degenhart").

By the time I found Homesteader Life, I was thinking I might be able to do a blog too. So I figured it out and before I even had it together like I wanted you mentioned it here.

So happy birthday and God Bless us all as we Blog for God's glory and the advancement of Christian-agrarian culture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home