Thursday, February 02, 2006

Cuttin' Wood

The old wood pile was getting low again, so today I got all my barn chores done up early and spent the day in the woods. It was 40 degrees and the sun was shining, a fine day work in the wood. I drove the old Ford 601 down the hill with a wood cart in tow. In the cart was my wife, two sons and "Buddy the dog". As I picked my way down the winding logging road, dodging holes and ruts and rocks, I thought about how blessed I am to live this kind of life. Here I am, middle of the week, middle of the day, working outdoors with my family. Countless legions of dads marched off to the office today. They were, as I was crossing streams and tossing wood, sitting in a room breathing stagnet air. Perhaps they were thinking about the weekend when they might have time to spend with the kids. No sir-ree, I haven't got many greenbacks in my wallet, but I wouldn't trade places with the rat racers for any price. The more I talk to "regular folk" who have "real jobs" and "retirement funds", the more I value this life we have out in the sticks. Sometimes I take for granted all the time I get to spend with my boys. Then I'll be talking to someone who's gone all day and sees the kids for a couple hours before bed and on weekends, and it really hits me. I suppose if its all you ever knew, it might seem normal. I could never do it though. Today my family worked together to provide heat for the house. The boys learned to work hard. They saw there mom and dad working together, subduing the earth, following Gods command. Then they learned the all important, "things don't always go as planed" lesson. They learned what 2 flat tires on the wood cart and a stuck tractor mean. They learned how to walk a 1/4 of a mile. In other words, they learned what it means to live a life worth livin'!

5 Comments:

At 2/02/2006 8:57 PM, Blogger JFC said...

Scott,

Another EXCELLENT post, with lots of inspiration for aspiring agrarians. Thank you brother. This is 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 if I ever saw it!

 
At 2/03/2006 6:09 PM, Blogger Herrick Kimball said...

*

I was among those countless legions of dads who marched off to work today, and I was inside breathing stale air. And, believe it or not, I was looking out the window thinking how much I would rather be in the woods with my boys. Hardly a work day goes by that I don't think that sort of thing. Like so many men (and women) in our modern culture, I am a wage slave. I do not like it and that is the first step to getting out of the prison I find myself in... I am plotting my escape.

Good post Scott!

 
At 2/04/2006 6:57 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Robert Louis Stevenson said, "The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life." You spent such a day with your family, Scott. One that is worthy of envy. I can just imagine the heart yearnings of the men who, like Herrick, are stuck behind their desks in stuffy offices gazing out their windows with dreams of a fuller richer life at home. Praise God that He is making their dreams a reality! God bless you!

 
At 2/05/2006 6:40 AM, Blogger Missouri Rev said...

Great post! The nature of our economic system is such that it utterly consumes the best portion of the lives of those that work in it full time. Though they work long and hard to provide for their families, which is honorable, they have only small remnants left of themselves to give to their families at the end of the day. Family life and generational continuity is sacrificed on the altar of corporate life and corporate continuity.

 
At 2/06/2006 2:23 PM, Blogger Chuck said...

I echo Herrick. Wonderful post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home