Thursday, June 02, 2005

Trusting God

When you don't have a lot of money its easy to start worrying about every little bump in the road we come to. Of course we all know that if God can provide food for the sparrows he can sure as shooting take care of his covenant people. The problem is, sometimes we find it hard to believe God's promises or believe the simple fact that He who made the heavens and earth can probably cover the little problems his creatures face on a day to day basis. I have tried hard to live by these principles, though often I find my self complaining or worrying and disappointing our King. I really liked Ricks latest post on this topic, Looking forward to the unexpected. Rick writes....

In 1998 we bought two new cars, a four-seat Honda Civic and a six-seat Honda Odyssey. So we were set when our fourth child, Elizabeth, came along in 2002. But when Debbie told me in 2003 that our fifth baby was on its way, my reaction was not "Oh, no, where are we going to seat a seventh person?" but rather, "This is great! God is going to buy us a new car!"
This has been an attitude I've tried to cultivate in myself and encourage in my family. Over the years we have seen many of our plans dashed on the rocks of circumstances; a couple of times we were literally stunned that things didn't turn out as we had expected. Stunned, but not disappointed. When God snatches away our hearts' desire, we have learned to immediately start watching out for the much better outcome that He has planned for us.


This attitude is one we must all work to cultivate. There are few ways to learn it faster than becoming involved with agriculture. The farm life is one filled with plans and hopes being dashed to pieces, yet God always replaces them far greater blessings. May we learn to rejoice in what God gives to us, and let us stop thinking we always know better Him.

1 Comments:

At 6/13/2005 5:17 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

I really enjoyed reading the quote and outlook that man has. Lately my husband and I have had a hard time surrendering our worries and fears (when it comes to finances and my husbands job) to the Lord. Thank you for the gentle reminder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home