Friday, May 20, 2005

Todays Planting and Supin' to Read

After I got the cows milked and back outdoors, Leah and I planted 18 tomato plants and seeded carrots, radishes, and beets. The garden is starting to come along now. The peas look pretty good. I'm pushing the envelope a little as far as frost dates, but we'll see what happens. I'll either have an early harvest that makes me look really smart or a total failure that makes me look like....well.

Here's a good article in Graze about a very successful dairymen that milks less than 30 cows.

I also found this one interesting. Did you know part of the "transfer of power" in Iraq included screwing Iraqi farmers and benefiting the transnational seed companies? Check out this article on the global war on farmers called IRAQ'S NEW PATENT LAW: A DECLARATION OF WAR AGAINST FARMERS.

3 Comments:

At 5/21/2005 5:42 PM, Blogger Abigail said...

"You also need to be willing to live without frills while paying the farm bills. 'Most people won't live as cheap as I will,' Tim says."

Even apart from his grazing beliefs, he sounds like your kind of fellow!

 
At 5/24/2005 7:23 AM, Blogger Deb said...

re: Iraq patent law...Why does this not surprise me? And it certainly scares me; unless we stand up for our fundamental right to save seed, this country could be next. Thanks for posting this.

 
At 5/24/2005 5:52 PM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

Abby

He dose sound like a good guy. I'd like to sit down and discuss "cheap living" with him, over cold beer of course.

Deb

That story was somthing else, wasn't it. I can't believe some of this stuff that goes on. Glad you found it, thanks for stopping by.

Heidi

Sounds interesting. Do you know the families very well? I have heard of folks trying similar ideas and not have them work out. Those were always with people that didn't wind up getting along, or had a lazy family involved, or didn't share common ideas or faith. I could see doing something like this with some Christian families that I knew really good. Do the families own the division they work? Is the land owned as a group or are the individual divisions all owned seperatly. I would be interested in hearing some of the details as you find them out.The best part is that people want community, an agrarian one. Let us know what you you find out and what you end up doing.

Scott

 

Post a Comment

<< Home