Tuesday, January 25, 2005

I'm Back....

We had a busy weekend out here. We ended up staying at the "main house" down by the cow barn. Sat it was -20 when I got up. The milkhouse was frozen, the cow's drinking cups were froze, a cow freshened, and an assortment of other problems lead to a very long day. It started at 2:30am and ended about 8pm. Sat night we had a big snow storm. We spent most of the Lord's Day digging paths to the barns and trying to get everything fed and watered. Crown and Covenant cancelled church services. I hope we can start to get things back to normal soon. We still have not got the batch of homebrew bottled. Snow storms and the illness of Elder Newman have held us up. Perhaps we will get it done this week. The first thing I did when I got home and turned on the computer was check my new favorite Blog.....The House of Degenhart. Low and behold, his latest post has a quote from this Blog. Check out his site, it has alot of good stuff on it.

3 Comments:

At 1/25/2005 1:52 PM, Blogger Chad said...

Scott, you will have to give me some instruction in the art of homebrewing sometime. My first batch was not very impressive, not to mention I was worried about someone getting injured because they were so carbonated that the bottles were about to explode. Furthermore, it was supposed to be a nice amber beer, but to be honest it tasted more like apple cider.

But hopefully I will improve with practice. The children thought it was great fun, as I made quite a mess bottling and quite a mess opening the bottles (due to the excessive fizz I mentioned).

I hope you get caught up from the storm. Ours was a day earlier, so we were able to make it to church with no problem. (And since my dairy farm still exists only in my imagination, I had no problems with the cows due to the storm.)

 
At 1/25/2005 3:26 PM, Blogger trawlerman said...

Howdy Scott,
I'm also glad that Mr. Degenhart and his house stumbled upon your blog... I've added his blog to my Bloglines roll, and truly enjoy it. (Kudos to you, Degenhart, if you are reading this!)
..
Well, the real reason that I'm commenting is that I'm ignorant...
I worked with you for a while on random days, but I'm still a city boy when it comes to farm lingo.
What does it mean that "a cow freshened?"

Anyhow, I'll publicly state here on internet la-la land that I still hope to end up homesteading with you somewhere sometime in the future, Lord willing. So I figure I'll need to know what it is that happens when a cow "freshens"... Abigail's off shopping with Mildred and I'm here at home with Annika... If Abby was here, she might be able to tell me, but since she's not, I leave this comment.

 
At 1/26/2005 4:23 AM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

Chad

This is our first batch of homebrew....so you better let us see how it tastes before give out any pointers. This one is an Octoberfest Ale. We were going to bottle it last night after bible study, but it got to late. We drank store bought beer instead.

John

When a cow "freshens" it means that she gave birth to a calf and is ready to start a new lactation. We milk a cow for 305 days and then she takes a rest for 60 days...then it starts all over again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home