Saturday, January 08, 2005

Welcome

One Bog is just not sufficient. You can always get news and commentary on church and state at
Reformed Farmer. This ones about the joys and superiority of country living. Its also about living the good life, enjoying the little things, and learning to provide for yourself. Country living by its very nature grows people of faith. When your crops require rain, what can one do but pray? When your fields are flooded, who can you ask to stop the rain......but God Himself. When you very existence depends on things that are so out of human control, the Christian becomes more dependent on Christ. The country also has a handy way of teaching our children responsibility. Gathering eggs no matter how cold it is, helping papa milk the cows even when your sick and tired, these thing make for a strong race of men and women. When the money is all gone, and it looks hopeless.......We are once again forced to recognize that God provides for his people. I hope this Blog will spur you on to move to the country if you are a city slicker, and I hope it will be a place for folks already living the good life to exchange ideas and learn new skills. After returning from our Alaskan adventure, we have slacked off in our dream of being more selfsufficient. As we move to the place on top of the hill, we are returning to that dream. Plans are in the works for the new chicken coop, the berry patch, garden, fur shed, a new sap house and many other things. We hope to produce most of our needs and profit from the surplus. We will continue to rely on the dairy cows for income, but hope to cut our living expenses even more than we have. Well now that Blog #2 is up and running, I hope you enjoy it.

4 Comments:

At 1/08/2005 5:31 PM, Blogger Leah said...

My dear sweet Scott,

Just thought I would let you know how much I love and respect you. I thank God for giving me you! I look forward to this wonderful new adventure we get to share with each other and with our children! May God continue to bless you as you seek to do His will and lead our family in His ways. You are my best friend, my lover, my confidant, my rock.

All my love forever,
Leah

 
At 1/09/2005 4:35 AM, Blogger Abigail said...

Hurrah!
I am really and truly glad that you've begun what looks to be a Blog of Top-Notch Quality, and I look forward to reading of both Terry successes and setbacks (and may the latter always swiftly scurry by). It will be cool, too, to learn about areas I'd like to be more knowledgeable in (e.g. building a sap house: my folks always used the enclosed top of our wood stove to boil down sap, which made the house smell heavenly, but ever since I was a small, grubby kid earmarking Little House on the Prairie books, I've wanted a sap house.)

So, Godspeed in your new postingss!

 
At 1/09/2005 4:43 AM, Blogger Abigail said...

p.s.

I'm off to make some homemade peppermint patty chocolates before church. It would be fantastic if you could also discover a way to grow cacao beans in a New England climate instead of in sunny and tropical climes. I could grow chocolate fixin's right in my own backyard!

 
At 1/13/2005 7:33 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Scott-I have to say, I am loving this blog. You do a good job with it and I enjoy hearing all sorts of great advice for when it is our time to establish a homestead. Talking and reading about it is serving as a great way to appease my impatience!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home