Monday, January 17, 2005

In Defense of Multi-generational Homesteads

I really pray that the church moves back to an optimistic eschatology. The fruits of years of premill and amill views are started to show, and its not pretty. This year I am planning on planting some maple trees on the homestead. When Christians hear this, instead of praising my foresight, they ask why I would waste my time. "Don't you know it will be 30-40 years before you can tap them?", they ask. Well I've got children and am sure they will have children. "Well, just look at the news, the Lord will be coming soon", they answer. This pessimism is evident throughout rural America. Barns that have stood for 150 years are falling down because no one bothers to fix the roof. The woodlots that were once managed by looking 100 years down the road are now managed with a selfish "right now" attitude. "Why drive around that oak sapling, I'll never live to harvest it. I'll just run it over." 300 hundred years from now, our descendants will ask "How could our ancestors have been so selfish and shortminded". They will have to build everything from scratch! I saw a recreational travel rig one day that must have cost $500,000. Two gray haired elderly folks were driving it and the bumper sticker said, "We're spending our kid's inheritance." We should expect that from the pagans. My brothers and sisters of the covenant.......We should be different.

4 Comments:

At 1/19/2005 7:09 PM, Blogger Chad said...

We should be different? Now there's an idea whose time has come.

 
At 1/20/2005 9:55 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Scott, I found this website through CMOMB...that group Leah's a part of. Thought you would have fun looking through just like I did. They even use workhorses-which is one of Matt's secret fantasies that is secret no longer!
http://www.mullerslanefarm.com/homestead.html

 
At 1/20/2005 10:07 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Ps-He reminds me of you too. Just read his article Homestead or Hobby Farm and you will see you jst may be kindred spirits! :-)

 
At 2/26/2005 9:43 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head! We are also hoping to leave an inheritance for our children - a house and land and hopefully more.

Badgermum pointed me your direction today after she came across a link from polemics. Hope to see more from you about and your farm!


Mike

potemkyn.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home