Sunday, June 19, 2005

Fathers Day, Breakdown Report, The Birds and the Bees, Mr. Kimball's Blog

I'm enjoying a peacefull Sabbath evening on Hunger Hill. This morning everthing went well at the barn and I got home a little earlier than ussual to get ready for church. The boys gave me nice fathers day card that Leah made for them. I also am happy to announce that my gifts will be coming in the mail soon. They are as you may have guessed, books. They are two books I have wanted for a long time, Ideas Have Consequences by Richard M. Weaver and Future Men by Douglas Wilson.

I am often accused of being to "romantic" in my discription of country living. So to ballance out all my romantisism, I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I will include the "Breakdown Report" on this blog. This will be the about the nastier side of agrarian living, broken machines and animals. Heres todays entry.......

After milking 4 cows this evening the pulsators quit working. I fooled around for 2 hours replacing wires that got melted becouse of a short. This you can see put me behind by about......yup, 2 hours. While working on the wires I became flustered, grouchy, and mean. It is possible that I used words that I shouldn't have used. I then thought about what an ungreatful fool I was being by complaining about how late I was and not thanking God that the problem was fixed and it didn't cost any money to fix it. I then asked my Father in heaven for forgiveness and finished the good work he provided for me. Complaining is one of my biggest problem areas, just ask my wife. I am better than I used to be but still have a long, long way to go!


Saterday, little John explained the "birds and the bees" to his grandma. If you didn't know, John is going to be 3 in about 3 weeks. He is a good little helper on the farm and considers himself to be "a big man". He was feeding calves with granny and 2 cats started breeding. He told his granny that they were breeding. He then asked her if she knew why they did that. She laughed and asked him why. He told her that they do that becouse they want to have babies. I got a kick out the whole thing. When kids grow up on the farm it makes the "big talk" a little easier. You just have to cover all the moral aspects of sex and ussualy don't have to get into any of the machanics.

The dark forces of industrailism took another well deserved kick in the pants. Herrick Kimball has started posting on his blog. Be sure to check out The Deliberate Agrarian. He starts out by declaring ........

"I am an Agrarian. Specifically, I am a Christian Agrarian. I believe that God intended for His people to live their lives and raise their families for His glory within an agrarian paradigm."

We are winning the battle folks!

2 Comments:

At 6/19/2005 7:11 PM, Blogger Herrick Kimball said...

Hi Scott,

Thanks for plugging the Deliberate Agrarian.

I have read "Ideas Have Consequences." It was a good book-- not long but heavy duty. I found myself bogging down and re-reading, (and re-re-reading passages), trying to understand exactly what the author was saying.

I think it's one of those books that you can read several times in your life and get something new from it each time. Maybe I should tackle it again!

 
At 6/21/2005 4:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Herrick

I enjoy your blog. I am looking foward to reading that book. Rick has said the same about rereading and thinking. My kind of book!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home