Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Just Do It

There was an old George Jones song that I heard when I was a kid that has stuck with me over the years. It was about a man who dreamed of having "a place out in the country". The whole song talks about him fighting the rat race and how unhappy he is. The one thing that keeps him going is his dream of having "a place out in the country". At the end of the song the writer gets a letter and reads it. The letter says the man has finally got a little place to call his own. The last line of the song..... "We took a ride out in the country, just to see him. It wasn't hard to find, cause his name's written on the stone".
Thats something to think about folks. To all of you in your 20's and 30's who are planning to get your homestead "someday", don't let someday be your last day. Most people who say they are going to do it "when they retire" or "when they have enouph money" or "when the kids are older" never get it done. If you haven't got stuck in the industrialized rat race, don't do it. Don't get so tangled up that you can't get out of the snare. Find a way to live your dreams now, the sooner the better. When asked what is the chief end of man, the Reformed Church answers, To glorify God and enjoy him forever. I don't believe that God wants us to suffer through life, he wants us to do everything to His glory and enjoy Him and the life He has given us on earth. Don't think there won't be hard times, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is contrary to popular belief, our God wants us to be happy and live out our dreams so long as our dreams honor Him. If the Homesteader Life isn't for you, fine. If it is, my advice is to start working toward that goal now instead of later. You don't want them writing a country song about you, do ya.

5 Comments:

At 6/15/2005 8:58 AM, Blogger B. D. Buie said...

This reminds me of an old Wendell Berry quote, "How can we value our lives if we devalue them in making a living?" Very good entry.

 
At 6/15/2005 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement and motivation. We're working on it!

 
At 6/15/2005 8:01 PM, Blogger B. D. Buie said...

Can you direct me to any good websites that talk about money? I'm very interested in whatever you may know.

Your Liberty Dollar link has me curious. In a good way.

 
At 6/16/2005 3:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You Don't want them writing a country song about you, do you?" This can't be the same Scott that has tailored his life into the making of a classic country ballad discuraging others to do the same!?, As for the woman and the kids and me we live back in the woods you see, BECAUSE A COUNTRY BOy.......

 
At 6/16/2005 4:50 AM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

Nowasooner

Glad to hear it! I wish you the best.

Bryan

Check out Franklin Sanders (also in my sidebar) also look through Chad's old posts, he has some good stuff too. That should get you on to a good start.

Anonymous

Yes sir, we make our own whiskey and our smokes too, ain't to many things us ole boys can't do. We grow big ole tomatoes, make homeade wine, and a countryboy can survive.
The only thing I was missing was a good friend from NY City, which I figured would never happen. Then several years ago I met John Owen and my life/song is complete :) HEHEHE

 

Post a Comment

<< Home